13 June 2007

Attending the Details

The last few days have been . . . interesting

I call it The Fear.
Dis-ease.
Translates into inertia ie. scared stiff.
I hate it!
Partly, mostly, because I cannot find the seed (kind of like extracting oxalis from your vegie patch, all those horrid, brown pellets to sift out) of this perturbation.

So, although I couldn't find the seed, I did find a kind of sieve for extracting the worst of the heavy brown pellets. This phrase that began to hum around my head: attend the details.

And so I turned to housework. The fine detail stuff. Tended the altars, lured cobwebs from the corners, blah blah.

Achieved simple things, widened the goal posts. God . . . tedious.

But I did have this very unexpected moment of realising that my work keeps me ticking: this bizarre work ethic thing. I was a little . . . exhilarated . . . (almost embarrassing!) to get dressed and to walk into town and the panic room therein. But how to turn this ethic onto my own, self-designated work?

And afterwards I got to play a newly completed violoncelle which is more than a little amazing in the scheme of creating things your own way.

4 comments:

D said...

work is good.
house work rots the brain.
therefore, I hire cleaning lady.
Let someone else's brain rot, I say.
my poor old brain has just about had enough.

Gillian Marsden said...

LOL
I know but cos I binge houseclean
for me it is often psychological
BUT
the sitting amidst the evidence
is another kind of (guilt) rot
Bring on Sadie!

Anonymous said...

It is work that gets in the way of me ticking. my work ethic has left me for the moment. It is a constant battle to drag myself from the cluttered kitchen, the coffee drinking and goldfish watching of my shifting living house where my days begin.

D said...

xM: ahh work brain rot, another problemo all together. Bring on the 20 hour week, I say!