20 March 2008

Just Some Art


Q produced this painting yesterday afternoon. Note the zucchini man aquadhered to its surface. Any preserving tips for yellow zucchini's out there?

And he got me good and proper when I carefully framed the question, 'So what is going on here?'.

And he said, 'Nothing, it's just some art.'

That rant I could go on, that one about watching children's loose casual creativity become tighter and tighter under the scholastic, peer, teacher, parent eye ball, I don't really need to go there. 'Nothing, its just some art' says it all I think.

(And it has to be clarified that I am as complicit in the tightening as much as as the next person. Unfortunate, but inevitably so.)

3 comments:

Kris said...

Glutney, from self-described Devon smallholder, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingsall. Trouble is, any way to keep yellow zukes means you lose the yellow, which is a big part of their appeal.

I agree with you about hairdressers. I find their opening gambit of 'how's your day been' as initmate as I can handle when I'm looking at myself close up, seeing the worry and tiredness, especially juxtaposed with their own slickness.

Brita Frost said...

hey there,
glad you liked the sartorialist. I am also in love. How's the zucchini holding up? It's true we take our art dreadfully seriously, I would love to be looser about things- like Mr Q. Bxx

Gillian Marsden said...

Kris - Glutney??!! Fab name. . . but strangely I can report that the zucchini is actually holding up quite well. Still attached to the paper and still yellow!

I think the best hairdressing mirror are those that show you sitting in your entirety, sounds a bit odd, but far more relaxing than the severed upper torso sheathed in black. At that size the mirror also opens up the space behind you, all in all, gives you a greater perspective, which what we all need LOL.

Brita - I guess taking art too seriously doesn't bother me too much, but perhaps, parents (ie myself) making immediate presumption that their child's image has 'narrative' attached does.