1 July 2008

of sleep and mouse shit

Further to space clearing, I have moved my bed twice in the past week. Apparently, beds must be as far away from the door as possible but also have a good view of it for optimum reaction time etc etc. To add to this delicate balance, it is a strange fact that I am really sensitive to which direction my head is pointing. Definitely cannot be pointing south, I feel so odd in that position, literally as if I am sleeping on my head. I like west or east for sleeping directions.

The first new site was a disaster. Even though I was the same distance from the window as the previous site of a couple of years, in which I slept both very well and very badly, I was especially wakeful and aware of my close position to the front of the house and thus, the street.

The second and current site is tucked into the back corner of the room, a position that I had always been wary of because of its proximity to the built-in wardrobe. However, is it indeed the site in which I have had the most consistent fulfilling sleep in a long time? Yes, it is.

Unfortunately, good sleep did not prevent me from rolling a mice poo over my tongue yesterday evening. I made myself the first hot chocolate I have had in many years. I drank it. I enjoyed it. I was probably a little smug about how much I was drinking it and enjoying it and in the last swig, a crumb caught on my tongue, and as I rolled it towards my fingers I thought to myself, please, please don't let that be a mouse poo on my tongue and unfortunately, it was.

No matter how much boiling water I drank, or how much raw carrot and celery that I energetically crunched immediately afterwards, I could not, actually, I cannot, forget the sensation, the shape, of that mouse poo on my tongue.

3 comments:

Brita Frost said...

Beautiful! But also quite disgusting. This made me laugh...

D said...

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kris said...

I don't know what mouse poo feels like on the tongue and I worry I've been drinking it for years. But then I realise, I don't like hot chocolate, so maybe I am safe.

I can't sleep under a window.