1 August 2006

The Cinnamon Addiction

I once bought a tiny little bottle of cinnamon oil for an astronomical price. I was trying to break away from the lavendar addiction; explore the scent possibilities. I was somewhat deterred by the incident in which I jumped into a car and a little way down the road, the driver said "mmm, who's bought along cinnamon scrolls?" Decided then that perhaps I didn't want to be associated with edible substances, particularly those so decidedly "Banjos".

Years ago, my mother prescribed for my 'depression', sage and turmeric which she would arrange delicately on a bed of ricotta cheese, itself spread on pumpernickel. She even pre-packaged tiny containers of it to carry with me whilst I travelled around South East Asia. (And fresh sage, when it is roasted upon potatos, manages a particular kind of crispyness.)

I will always remember my first experience of chai tea at a forest festival in Jackey's Marsh. And just today I have drawn the link between that comfort mug and my dad making hot milk with honey and cinnamon as an after-rainy-school-day treat.

Cinnamon is the happy comfort spice that they advocate for staving off mid-winter slumps and bumps and every morning I consider that as I powder my porridge with the soft brown spice.

2 comments:

Mrs Smith said...

sweet.

welcome to the blog world Gillian. Glad to see you have jumped in. You write so beautifully. I will look forward to reading your words.

Anonymous said...

Whenever the question is asked, "What's in this?" "This is tasty, what's that on top?" The answer comes back, invariably, "Cinnamon, Cinnamon CINNAMON!"

- Seinfeld (an approximation thereof)