3 June 2010

Tipsy or Straight?

How facinating that there is a new diagnostic tool in the medical/psychiatric field: as patients take balance tests, they have a tiny probe placed in their ear to measure their brainwave fluctuations. The developers of this tool are working on the link between balance issues, depression and schizophrenia amongst other neural disorders.

It struck a distinct body memory within me of some very rocky years. Literally, rocky on my feet and rocky in my psyche. My place on the earth, when I walked, was precarious. I have a pair of shoes that I wore through this time and they exacerbated the problem immensely. They are a very narrow shoe and the sole does not meet the edge of the upper level, so the sensation is similar to walking on ice-skates. Except, the sole was thick enough to inspire trust and carelessness and it was fine to trust, until you rushed a foot step, your foot slid within the shoe and you realised how close your were to the edge of the sole: an unbearable tip into a twisted ankle. It's a pity. They are very pretty shoes.

Poor balance and depression - I know it - makes sense to me.

No comments: