16 September 2006

Bikes Are Tonic

Have just been sitting on my front step again. This time with my dog and a glass of G&T and in the dusk. . bliss. It's been an interesting day: a mammoth, bouyant rally and all the people bouncing off each other with that rare familiarity that can be bred at such things. But I feel a little guilty; the writing I was meant to do today didn't occur much. Is it self-indulgent to need an afternoon to absorb the synchronisities, the conversations, people glances, that the universe throws at you: the stars throw at you?

Q got a bike for his birthday which is hardly original but damn it is loved. And it was via this bike that I learnt, again, how becoming a parent has made me uberfrenetic. And, it was via this parental gift that I was reminded as to the art of lolling about in the sun in a park. It takes patience! After ten minutes I am bored, I could contentedly leave; after twenty, I'm finding a more comfy body position; after thirty, when I next look at my watch we've been in the park for over an hour and Q is proudly noting how sweaty his hair is.

Isn't tonic a lovely word?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its a lovely word but why does it taste so bad??!! (tonic i mean) !

Alex said...

it must be the quinine. "Quinine is a natural white crystalline alkaloid having antipyretic, anti-malarial with analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties and a bitter taste." (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinine)

hmmm... I never knew tonic water was fluorescent. I love wikipedia.

Gillian Marsden said...

Hullloo youse two. . .thanks for dropping by (don't I sound blog-hip)

I'd forgotten the quinine link and I've been drinking G&T's of late. . der!